Thank you for your
attention on CUMIC !
Zinc-Aluminum-Magnesium Steel: Basics and History
Zinc-aluminum-magnesium steel is a new type of coating product, and it is also an area where many steel mills in China have stepped in recent years.
When we want to know a product, we usually want to know its history first, but also the manufacturer's product and development background. After understanding these two aspects, we can have a more systematic and clear understanding.
1. What is Zinc-Aluminum-Magnesium Coated Steel?
According to the definition of European standard EN10346-2015, zinc-aluminum-magnesium coating is a ternary alloy coating whose main component is zinc, and the content of aluminum and magnesium is between 1.5-8% (where the magnesium content is not less than 0.2%).
Compared with traditional coatings such as hot-dip galvanizing, galvanized aluminum and zinc-iron alloy, zinc-aluminum-magnesium coated steels boast better corrosion resistance.
1. As the zinc-aluminum-magnesium alloy coated steel sheet is relatively thin and dense, it is not easy to peel off the coating;
2. Corrosion products will flow and wrap the incision, so the protection performance of the incision and defect is better;
3. It also has good corrosion resistance in some corrosive environments (such as animal husbandry and coastal areas);
4. It can replace some of the less demanding stainless steels, or application scenarios such as galvanizing after processing, which can simplify the user's processing procedures.
2. The History of Zinc-Aluminum-Magnesium Coated steel
The industry generally believes that the first commercial production and promotion of zinc-aluminum-magnesium coated steel sheets were the two Japanese steel mills, Nisshin Steel and Nippon Steel. (After the merger of Nippon Steel and Nisshin Steel, it is now renamed as Nippon Steel)
In fact, as early as the 1960s and 1970s, American steel companies had already started the development of zinc-aluminum-magnesium-coated steel but did not carry out commercial production.
Then, in the 1990s, Nisshin Steel and Nippon Steel had done a lot of work on the research and development of zinc-aluminum-magnesium coated steels, made significant progress, and started commercial production of zinc-aluminum-magnesium alloy coated steel sheets.
Note: It is said that at the beginning it aimed to get a product with performance and price between stainless steel and hot-dip galvanized.
After that, major steel companies such as ArcelorMittal, Thyssenkrupp Steel, Tata steel European, and Australian steel company BlueScope also successively developed similar products of their respective brands.
In recent years, Chinese steel mills have also followed up, and major companies have also begun to put zinc-aluminum-magnesium coated steel into production.
CUMIC Steel has more than 15 years of experience in global steel trading, providing both steel mills and end-users with professional, efficient, and reliable steel supply solutions. We have established long-term cooperative relations with more than 200 steel mills to ensure these products are fabricated using quality material and are in line with various international standards.
We are a team of professional, passionate, and committed steel experts who dedicate our continuing efforts to the best experience of all steel users and everyone in the supply chain. We offer technical support, 3rd party quality control services, steel marketing intelligence information, and many other value-added services to you. Get in touch today via email@example.com, and keep updated by following us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Company News
- CUMIC Steel Monthly Sept
- CUMIC Steel Monthly Aug
- CUMIC Steel Monthly July
- CUMIC Steel Monthly June
- CUMIC Steel Monthly May
- CUMIC Steel Monthly April
- CUMIC Steel Monthly March
- Global Steel Outlook Report 2023
- Global Steel Market Outlook 2021 - CUMIC Steel
- CUMIC STEEL LIMITED-ISO9001Certificate
- CUMIC STEEL LIMITED-Product Catalog
- CUMIC STEEL LIMITED-Brochure
- Global Steel Market Outlook 2022 H2
- CUMIC Office Tour
- Flat Carbon Steel
- Long Carbon Steel
- Pipes & Tubes
- Finished Steel Products
- Alloy Steel
- Stainless Steel